Neat fact: At AppleBlossom Energy, we diagnose each individual home and provide custom insulation solutions based on the problem area in each home.
When attic insulation goes bad, problems pop up throughout your entire home. Energy bills rise, critters come and go as they please, temperature changes are a normality, and drafts sweep through your home when it’s windy outside. If you notice one or more of the following signs, it’s time to think about investing in new attic insulation:
9 Signs Your Attic Insulation Needs to Be Replaced
- Inconsistent Indoor Temperatures — Is your kitchen cold, while your bedroom is practically a sauna? Fluctuating temperatures are one good sign your current attic insulation isn’t doing its job.
- High Energy Bills — Another energy bill has come in the mail and it’s much higher than you’re used to. If there’s no rhyme or reason behind your elevated utility bills, it could be due to poor attic insulation.
- Animal Infestations — If mice, snakes, bats, squirrels, or other small critters now call your attic home, it’s time to make insulation replacement a priority.
- Water Damage – Had a recent roof leak or burst pipe? Once attic insulation gets wet, it can’t be salvaged and needs to be replaced.
- Draftiness — Poor attic insulation can let drafts into your home throughout the year, so if all of your windows and doors are closed and things are still drafty, it’s time for some air sealing and new attic insulation.
- Extra Noise — Do things seem a little bit too loud in your house every day? This could be due to a lack of proper insulation in your attic.
- You Own an Older Home — Many older homes were built without enough attic insulation or no insulation at all. If you live in or recently purchased an older home, you could probably benefit from additional attic insulation.
- Icicles and Ice Dams Show Up in the Winter — Ice dams and icicles are signs that your attic isn’t properly vented and insulated. If you have problems with either of these things during the winter, your home is a good candidate for an attic insulation inspection.
- Your HVAC System Runs Constantly — If your heating or cooling system never seems to be able to keep your home at a steady temperature, this could be a sign your home is losing energy faster than your system is creating it and you need more attic insulation.