When you are shopping for gutters, you will come across several different options to choose from. There are different styles of gutters, as well as different rain gutter materials. Depending on your home and the style or look you are looking for you may choose one over another. Below is a highlight of each kind of gutter.
The three main styles of gutters are:
- K-Style Rain Gutters – When viewed from the side they resemble the letter K. This is the most common choice for homes built in the last 5 decades. The front of these gutters resembles crown molding, which give them a decorative and appealing look. They are nailed directly to the fascia, which eliminates the need of brackets. This type holds a lot of water but can be a little more difficult to clean due to the angles.
- Half Round Gutters – This style of gutter does not sit flush along the fascia, so they are typically attached using brackets. They are more rounded than the K-style gutters. This style is more typical in homes built before the 1960s.
- Custom Build Fascia Gutters – This style is custom built to fit your home and therefore they are made out of a continuous piece of aluminum. This eliminates troublesome seems.
There are several fantastic materials to choose from when picking out your gutters. The main materials used are:
- Vinyl – The least expensive option that will provide you with up to 20 years of life.
- Aluminum – Lightweight, won’t rust, and will last up to 25 years.
- Zinc – Long lasting gutters that will last up to 50 years. They will develop an attractive patina over time.
- Copper – Unaffected by the most extreme weather conditions, this gutter type can last up to 100 years.
Steel – Very strong and sturdy gutters that can be painted any color.