If you are working on going green, you may be taking steps towards improving your energy consumption at home. While this can take some time, something to aspire to may be a zero energy home in which the amount of energy used is offset up to 100% by how much renewable energy is produced at the same site. That’s a pretty amazing feat! So, how do you achieve zero energy homes?
According to Zero Net Energy Homes, there are 12 steps to creating a zero energy home that provides the perfect “going green” environment. Their twelve steps are as follows:
- Design your home for zero net. By creating this option at the design phase, you are more likely to achieve your goal.
- Use Energy Modeling Software to ensure you get the best results.
- Super-seal your home’s envelope to ensure no energy is escaping from the inside out.
- Super-insulate to give added energy efficiency.
- Minimize thermal bridging by designing decks and porches separately from your house.
- Utilize highly insulated windows and doors.
- Use the sun for passive solar gain.
- Similarly, the sun should be used for hot water and electricity.
- Manage humidity and create an energy efficient, fresh air supply.
- Maximize energy efficiency by choosing a quality heating and cooling system.
- Install energy efficient lighting.
- Choose energy efficient electronics and appliances for your home.
Even if you are living in a home that has already been built, you can use some of these steps to improve your home’s energy efficiency and work towards a zero energy home. At AppleBlossom Energy, we are dedicated to providing customized solutions and can help you with the process of creating a more energy efficient space. If you are interested in learning more about zero energy homes or our products and services, contact us today for more information.